When you set a Network Port on the switch, it will not flood a packet with
an unknown destination MAC address out all of the ports.  Packets with
unknown destination MAC addresses are "drained" out the network port.  The
only practical application where I can see using a "network port" is if the
MAC addresses of all the devices attached to the switch have been statically
set in the switch.  In this case, the switch would know about all the
devices that it has to talk to, and we can send the packet with the unknown
destination MAC address out the network port, hopefully to find its way to
the proper destination.

The problem that you will find by using a network port is that if the MAC
addresses of the other devices that are connected to the switch have not
been statically set, they may appear to "dropp off the network"  Network
printers are a big problem because they usually generate very little
traffic, so the switch doesn't learn the MAC address.  If you printer is
sitting on port 7, and you have defined a network port, there is a good
chance that any packets that are supposed to go to the printer will actually
go out the network port and never find their way to the printer.  In most
applications, I have found it reasonable NOT to use the network port.  If
you do use it, you will want to make sure that you understand why you are
using it, and the limitations of using it.

In the Cat 1900, I believe the setting to set a network port is in the
System Menu.

8pdi8m$nsg$[EMAIL PROTECTED]">news:8pdi8m$nsg$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...