I totally disagree with your statement. Just because you're underpaid
doesn't mean you don't know anything about what you're doing. A lot of
people stay in a job for 2-3 years but only get a 6-7% raise per year but in
the process have learned a lot. When he goes looking for a new job, I don't
think potential employers should judge him by his current salary but what
he's worth when he did the interview.

If your statement was true, I'd be getting paid like $50,000 right now
because my 1st employer was a cheapskate even though I have quite a bit of
experience.