My policy is that it can only be used against you in the negotiation process.
If they know what you are making they have at least an idea for a minimum offer based
on that. Key word: "Minimum".

Besides, one of the documents that you most likely be requested to sign later is some
sort of non-disclosure agreement that probably limits your ability to divulge your
salary to other employees or prospective employers.

I make it known that my dealings with my clientele are kept private, and that salary
/ salary offers are one of the items covered by that deal. If you are required to
divulge that information, it is then not private and they can no longer expect you to
keep it that way (But will probably try anyway). I stand firm on my ethic and if they
do not respect that then I can not accept the position. My last two employers
"required" salary histories and when I explained my position, not only did I earn
their respect, but I received offers at slightly higher than market average. I have
likely also have been turned down by potential employers for this reason but I have
not regretted the lost opportunity at all. In fact I like to clear this item off the
table as early as possible in order to not waste any time on the loosers. In reality
every job I have interviewed for (50+) "required" this information at the onset. I
have not needed to divulge it in over five years  and have doubled my !
income three times since then.

The negotiating skills needed to work around this issue say a great deal more about
you than a blind submission to a mandatory policy and a good employer, will surely
take notice of that.

Ken Leja