Calling EIGRP a "Hybrid" protocol is Cisco marketing because distance vector
protocols have a bad reputation.   Like Al Gore is a "New Democrat" and not
a "Liberal".  I like the term "advanced distance vector protocol" to
describe EIGRP because it does do some really interesting calculations such
as finding a "feasable sucessor" route in case of route failure.

The split horizions issue is different with OSPF.  Remember, OSPF does not
pass "routes" like a distance vector protocol.  Instead OSPF sends Link
State Advertisements to describe the network.  Each router then builds a
topological database from those Link State Advertisements.  So the protocol
is geared towards distributing the LSAs through the network.

When an LSA arrives at the router, the router checks the database.  If the
LSA is new, or newer, the LSA is placed in the database and forwarded out
all other OSPF interfaces.  Usually you will not forwared the LSA out the
same interface it was received (sounds like Split Horizons huh).

But sometimes you want the LSA to be forwarded out the same interface it was
received.  The behavior may be changed by changing the OSPF network type.
For example, you may be on an ethernet network and the router is a DR.  You
would need to make sure the network type is "Broadcast", which is the
default for ethernet interfaces.  Or on a hub serial interface connected to
hub and spoke frame relay network you would want to set the network type to
be "multipoint", and not the default of point-to-point.  You can find out
which OSPF network type is used on an interface by typing "sho ip ospf
interface".

So, in a nutshell, OSPF does have some concerns that look similar to a split
horizons problem.  But the solution is to use the appropriate OSPF network
type and not any command that has the words "split horizons".

Hope this helps!

Paul Borghese