The rule is:
connecting devices of the same OSI layer, use cross-over cable.
connecting devices of different layers, use straight through.
A workstation is considered layer3.

Bernard

Your analogy is incorrect, you do no use a cross over cable between a switch
and a router,  you must use a straight through cable.  Switch to Switch or
Hub to Hub, or client to router do require a crossover, client to switch,
client to hub and router to switch/hub do not.

Louie

        Since time immemorial and pre-industrial, 'greed' has been the
accusation
hurled at the rich by the concrete-bound illiterates who were unable to
conceive of the source of wealth or of the motivation of those who produce
it.
                -- Ayn Rand

Client - Anything : Straight
Switch -Hub/Switch- Router : Cross over

Here is a handy hint for you Rover. Your name = Rover . This rhymes as "
Cross- rover "..And Rover is into the business of connecting Switches and
Routers , Therefore use " Cross-Rover".

I am not playing the fool. I have seen very senior guys fumbling around for
long hours when they realise the cable selection error.

Ok bud. I am sure you will neve never make the error on cables Rover =
Cross"rover = for Swiches -> Routers / Hubs

helo,

What is general rule of thumb for cabling tow networking devices? In other
words: when should I use cross-over, roll-over or straight-through cables to
connect tow networking devices

Thanks

Rover