I dont know with you but I can connect my workstation directly to a modem .
Ever heard of a serial port?    The reason that you can connect a workstaion
to a LAN devices is that it has LAN device which is the NIC  card.  And dont
ever tell us that a workstaion is a layer 3 devices cause its not .  Does a
workstation ever do routing? Its not even a  layer 4, 5, 6, or 7 by itself.
But if you put in the software or hardware that will enable it to do this
things then it can be any of these.