Ok at the risk of being flamed I will post this question.  We have
implemented a VLSM and also have some subnets left over from our previous
config.  We are having intermittent problems reaching hosts both within and
outside the vlsm.  During troubleshooting if I ping a client by IP I get a
time out error, if I try from another machine on the same or different
subnet it also times out.  But going to a third client , they are able to
ping this machine.  This occurs to different machines at different times and
different subnets. The client is functioning properly for the user.

My major question is are there known problems with vlsm and connectivity
issues or could our router be not configured properly.  I am the lowly
server guy and the "network" guy refuses to believe the problem is related
to vlsm, however we have never experienced this before

Ted