I agree more or less with the below, and although I have not had this
experience, I have heard of some people having os specific issues with non
classful netmask boundaries.  This could be a routing thing if for
example you are trying to use rip v1 an an igp with a classless
network.  You and your network guy need to talk.

                Brian