If you ping the clients by hostname are the name-servers responding with the
correct ip addresses, even though they are timing out finding them?

Sounds like a name resolution or browser related issue based on what little
info you have posted.

More info like whether you are using switches or hubs, what client OS is
running, are there multiple VLANS and your name resolution methods would be
helpful.