From: "Khodaverdian, Hamlet" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "'[EMAIL PROTECTED]'" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: RE: Wireless LANS
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2000 16:08:42 -0800

Also, from my experience actual throughput is much less than 11 MB. I've
been lucky enough to test the Cisco Aironet, Compaq, and RadioLan offerings.
The RadioLan wireless has the best actual throughput, but they don't conform
to the 802.11 specification, operating at the 5.8Ghz range as opposed to the
2.4Ghz standard. The Cisco Aironet series drivers stink for win2000, and NT,
with many little issues, but I'm sure they'll improve them since Aironet was
just bought by Cisco. We use the RadioLan stuff in production, but we'll
move to the Cisco Aironet around the first of the year, as soon as Cisco can
catch up on orders. I hear that the Lucent offerings are

Just make sure to use encryption. And I would agree with most that the
wireless has its uses, but won't replace wired LANS for a while.

Hamlet