From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of
Frank B.
Sent: Sunday, November 26, 2000 10:27 PM
To: James Wilson
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Frame Relay Problem

Unless I'm mis-reading you here this is the correct behavior for a
partial mesh.  Unless you provide a full mesh you won't get dynamic
mappings for both spokes.  Also, I assume the PVC from R1 to R2 is one
subnet and the PVC from R1 to R3 is another subnet--Frame relay and
Inverse ARP alone can't route between them.

So if you can't get a PVC between R2 and R3...then run any routing
protocol on all 3 routers and you should be able to ping from R2 to R3
and vice-versa (RIP will work fine to prove this point.)  Hope this
helps...and as always, comments are welcome ( and in fact expected
;-)    Frank

James Wilson wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I hope someone can shed some light on the problem I have come across in
the
> following scenario :
>
> Three routers, R1,R2 and R3 all connected via a Frame Relay cloud with a
> router in the middle doing frame relay switching. The frame switch is
_not_
> fully meshed. R1 is acting as the hub with R2 and R3 being spokes off R1.
> Hence there is a PVC betweenR1 and R2 and a PVC between R1 and R3. There
is
> _no_ PVC between R2 and R3.
>
> The particular lab exercise here specifies that each router much be able
> ping every other router in the frame cloud. BUT the use of the
'frame-relay
> map' command is forbidden, and only R1 can be configured using a
subinterface.

> As I have it configured R1 can ping both R2 and R3 as expected. However,
> both R2 and R3 can only ping R1 (the hub) yet cannot ping each other. The
> question stipulates you should use routing and not Layer2 to Layer3
> mapping. A debug on the ping from R2 to R3 shows that there is no map
entry
> for R3 hence encapsulation failed. A look at 'sh frame map' shows there is
> only 1 entry and it is for R1. This sh frame map is identical on R2 and
R3.