Your suggestions are good, unfortunately i have already tried most of them
and other break the rules of the lab

Here's a run down :

- R1 is currently configured with 1 multipoint subinterface with multiple
frame-relay interface-dlci commands.
- The rules state only 1 subinterface can be used, and also state only the
one 10.1.0.0/16 subnet can be used so that rules out the multiple subnets.
- The lab stipulates the ip addresses for R1, R2 and R2 be 10.1.1.1/16,
10.1.1.2/16, 10.1.1.3/16 respectively.

So there goes the multiple point to point interfaces / multiple subnets
idea. bummer.

As you said, Map statements are not to be used. The direct quote from the
lab is "Also, one of the problems in this lab [i.e r2 not being able to
ping r3] can be solved with multiple frame map ip statements, but this is
not the solution i want you to use. Solve the problem with routing, not
layer 3 to layer 2 mapping".

Hence ruling out any static frame mapping or arp type solutions as these
are all layer 2 to layer 3 mapping techniques.

The use of OSPF is permitted and required throughout the lab, with alll
frame relay interfaces being in Area 0.