At 11:25 PM 12/12/00, CCIE TB wrote:
>Hi group members,
>
>I'm just wondering...if you can access a router by telneting to it, you can
>get most of the information that you will get through CDP. Then what is the
>benefit of CDP?

Consider your "if clause." Often you can't Telnet to a router. What does it
require for Telnet to work? Telnet runs at the application layer. It has
basic security features (unencrypted password). It runs on top of TCP,
which hopefully isn't blocked by any access lists. It runs on top of IP, so
correct IP addressing must be configured. For that matter, maybe you're not
using IP. Cisco routers can also run IPX, AppleTalk, DECnet, etc.

CDP, on the other hand, runs at the data-link layer. It's much more likely
to work under a variety of conditions, which is a good thing for a
troubleshooting and monitoring tool.

Priscilla