On a cat 6509 I setup my port to span a vlan with not much traffic and I can
surf and send/receive email without any noticeable difficulty.  I've done
this a couple of time before and it seems to work okay.  I have seen it done
on a unix system running tcpdump and it was able to surf, I have used NAI
sniffer on my win nt system as a span but I was just gathering data.

happy new year
Dave H

span command I used:
 set span 10 4/44 both inpkts enable

show my port setting:
CAT> (enable) sh port 4/44
Port  Name               Status     Vlan       Duplex Speed Type
----- ------------------ ---------- ---------- ------ ----- ------------
 4/44 2B044-GY           monitor    110          full   100 10/100BaseTX

show span:
CAT> (enable) sh span

Destination     : Port 4/44
Admin Source    : VLAN 10