From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of
Priscilla Oppenheimer
Sent: Friday, December 29, 2000 4:42 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: can SPAN port transmit?

The reason I ask is that my client is developing a network management box
that will connect to a SPAN port and collect traffic as well as
occasionally send SNMP queries and other UDP packets.

He realizes that if the user were collecting data from many ports there
would be performance issues. However, he wants to know, in the absence of
performance problems, will his device be able to send some queries? Is
sending disabled on the SPAN port? The other answers (from people who have
tried it) make me think the answer is no, sending is not disabled.

Priscilla