This completely depends on the platform and feature set.  For instance,
12.0(9) IP for a 3640 would fit into 4 MB flash and require 24 MB RAM, while
Enterprise Plus needs 8MB flash and 32 MB DRAM.

In a lab setting, you can get away with not having a lot of RAM because
you're router isn't going to be doing a whole lot.  It's not like you're
going to need room for huge ARP tables and full BGP tables and the like.
Still, if I were you I'd get at least 8MB flash and 24 MB DRAM.  Heck, get
16 MB Flash if you can.  That way you'll have plenty of room for the larger
images later.  My favorite place for RAM deals is Rocky Mountain Ram
(www.ram-it.com)  They have very inexpensive flash and DRAM for cisco
routers.