Most Frame relay connections go through some
telco/frame provider and some bigger organizations
have their own frame infrastructure. I'm not aware of
any security measures at the frame layer.

As for securing the information, you can encrypt at
layer 3. Most financial software these days has
encryption in the software of some sort. This is the
best spot to do it. Lets say the router just encrypts
then between the PC and the router the data will be
unsecure (unless application encrypts) and someone can
pick it up with a sniffer. Another example is SSL and
HTTPS which are done at the application level. As with
anything, if it's sensative - protect it at the
source.