Hi,

Once the data gets from your physical link into the Telco end it is usually
re-multiplexed into other physical links to go onto the next site.  This may go on for
a number of times depending on where the logical link goes.  For example, a trace
route may indicate 6 hops to a site to get to the site may require going through 20
physical links.  You message get remixed (multiplexed) on each physical link.

That has been my understanding.

Teunis
Hobart, Tasmania
Australia