We are using this technique for the default route for a pair of routers
using HSRP where both are connected to the WAN through Ethernet emulation.

Since Ethernet isn't point-to-point (although the circuit may have no other
hosts) it is probable that if the remote WAN FastEthernet dies (or anywhere
in between), HSRP will not kick in because the local Ethernet connection is
still alive and talking to its first link - that being a hub/switch, foirl
or whatever.

Therefore, a "normal" default route to the next hop won't work 'cause it is
on a network that is configured and still alive on the local router.  Even
if the remote router dies, the local router still thinks the route is good
because the local interface is up.  Keepalives only go as far as the
hub/switch.

Therefore, we depend on OSPF redistributing the "normal" default and we
configure a floating static to the neighbor HSRP router.  If the link fails
anywhere, OSPF routes are lost and then the floating static comes up.  The
neighbor router has full routes as it is configured the same way.

The behavior showed up in the lab.  We failed the remote router interface
and HRSP didn't work so we had to think on that one for awhile.  Figuring
our why the default route didn't drop out of the routing table was
interesting since it is normal that if a destination isn't reachable then
the route should disappear.

On the interior interfaces we are using EIGRP and redist that into OSPF.  We
don't redist OSPF into EIGRP so we don't get any routing loops.  However,
using distribute lists should fix any routing loops you might have.

Kevin Wigle