On Thu, 18 Jan 2001 11:42:49 -0500, Howard C. Berkowitz wrote:

>  >At 10:25 AM 1/18/01, Tony van Ree wrote:
>  >>Hi,
>  >>
>  >>Late collisions will often occur when you have one end at full duplex
the
>  >>other at half duplex.  The full duplex will keep sending even after the
>  >>poor little half duplex has started to transmit.  This interupts the
half
>  >>duplex well into its transmission and whammo a late collision.  This
also
>  >>often occurs when autonegotiate is set on a switch and all appears to
be
>  >>fine.  I have found that to configure both ends manually is best.
>  >
>  >Why does anyone use autonegotiate?! Does it EVER work? &;-) Just
>  >wondering.....
>  >
>  >Priscilla
>

>  It is my understanding that the model on which Ethernet
>  autonegotiation is designed is the same one as used in male-female
>  communications.

I hate to say it, but that is a very appropriate analogy.  Both sides
*think* they know what the other side is doing, but each has fundamental
misunderstandings about the other.

Strangely enough, the layer at which these problems occur depends on the
direction of the communication.  From the male perspective, the problems
tend to reside on the physical layer, while for the female they tend to
reside in higher layers, usually the application and presentation layers.