I went back and read the first question again and realized that I misread
it.  I thought Cory was asking how to convert an ip host to speak SDLC or
bisync.  I see now that he just wanted to speak to an SNA host.

Just about every PC in our network has a tn3270 client running on it, either
Rhumba or Host Explorer, and those communicate via IP with the TN3270 Server
running on the Channel Interface Processor in our 7513, which is
channel-attached via escon connections to our mainframe.

That's a pricey solution, but if you need that functionality it does the job
quite well.

So, it appears you have some options depending on what you're actually
trying to accomplish.  It's possible to make the PC speak SDLC over serial
lines, or you can use tn3270 over IP if you have a tn3270 server available.

John

>  I continued looking into this and found some stuff out.  I still hold to
>  that I know almost nothing about SNA but heres what I think I learned
>  today..  In order for an IP host to talk to an SNA mainframe you need a
>  gateway and also some sort of software (like a 3270 emulator) on the IP
host
>  to talk to the gateway.  The gateway talks IP to the host and SNA to the
>  mainframe.  The only way to do this without needing a gateway is if you
use
>  a Cisco 7000 series router with a card called an ESCON card which can
>  function as a gateway.  Heres a good link on what I learned.  I'm still
>  reading it but I thought you might find it interesting.  It basically
talks
>  about how SNA is on its way out the door being replaced by IP and how a
lot
>  of businesses are doing the migration in 4 steps.
>
>  http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/cc/so/neso/ibso/snaip_bc.htm
>
>  Cory

SNA,
>  >  SDLC,
>  >  >  BYSINC, etc...
>  >  >
>  >  >
>  >  >  Can you take an ip host and convert it to speak to an sdlc or
bysinc
>  >  >  mainframe like you would enable an ethernet host to speak token
ring?
>  >  >
>  >  >  Thanks
>  >  >
>  >  >  Cory
>  >  >
>  >  >  FAQ, list archives, and subscription info:
>  >  http://www.groupstudy.com/list/cisco.html
>  >  >  Report misconduct and Nondisclosure violations to
[EMAIL PROTECTED]