At 10:11 AM 2/4/01, Hunt Lee wrote:
>I have three subnet / route summarization questions but I don't
>understand the answer, any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
>Q1)    Choose the appropriate classless network address and broadcast
>address for the IP address 10.6.38.50 with a subnet mask of
>255.255.240.0
>
>A)    10.6.38.49 and 10.6.38.62
>
>B)    10.6.32.0 and 10.6.47.255
>
>C)    10.6.38.0 and 10.6.38.255
>
>D)    10.0.0.0 and 10.255.255.255
>
>Answer is B.

Answer B looks right to me. Node 10.6.38.50 is on network 10.6.32.0. In the
third octet, the first four bits are network bits. In the third octet, the
only bit of the first four bits that is on in the number 38 is the 2^5 bit.

For broadcast turn on all node bits: the last four bits of the third octet
and all eight bits of the fourth octet. Also turn on the 2^5 bit in the
third octet.

>Q2)    Given a classless route summarization of 72.8.0.0 /13.  Which IP
>address fall into this scope?
>
>A)    72.15.36.8
>
>B)    72.13.1.1
>
>C)    72.8.20.10
>
>D)    72.7.200.100
>
>E)    72.16.7.4
>
>F)    72.40.1.8
>
>Answer is A, B & C - why isn't E the ansewr as well?

If I understand the question right, you should be looking for the answers
that share the same left-most 13 bits. The first octet is the same for all
of them, so concentrate on the second octet. Put the second octet into
binary. A, B, and C are all 00001 in the left-most 5 bits of the second
octet. The rest aren't.

>Q3)    When using classless supernetting, which route best summarizes
>the following networks?
>
>192.168.9.0
>192.168.10.0
>192.168.11.0
>192.168.12.0
>
>A)    192.168.0.9 / 20
>
>B)    192.168.0.0 / 16
>
>C)    192.168.9.0 / 22
>
>D)    192.168.8.0 / 21
>
>I thought D is the answer, but the answer is C.

I think it's D also. If you go to the 22nd bit, then 192.168.12.0 is
different than the others.