One DR per multiacess subnet, and an optional BDR.  Definitely not
one per area.

I was a reviewer of the first edition, but not the second.  This
question has no ideal answer, because "ethernet segment" isn't as
precise as I'd like.  Do bridged segments count (remember OSPF
multicasts, not broadcasts)? How about multiple VLANs on the same
physical segment (each will need a DR)? What if there are secondary
subnets on the physical segment (results can be flaky. Avoid.)?