This is the second time I have seen a post about HDLC enabling the router to
retransmit, and some other people who I have brought the topic up to seem to
think so to, so I dug up what Cisco says about HDLC encapsulation.

"HDLC Serial Encapsulation Method
Cisco provides HDLC serial encapsulation for serial lines. This
encapsulation method provides the synchronous framing and error detection
functions of HDLC without windowing or retransmission."

Note: without retransmission

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ssr83/rpc_r/61110.h
tm