>I read a bit of callousness in Lauren's approach,
>but I agree with the general idea Lauren proposes.
>I have sent out similar emails to people who waste
>my time, instead of doing a bit of research.  I also
>oppose the use of "shorthand" english in public emails.
>It is offputting, so I tend to ignore those people
>entirely.

I, too, have a real problem with 3l33t d00dz and the like--whether
it's meant to be the private language of an in-group (i.e., the
previous example being Elite Dudes) or simply a way of avoiding
typing.  Believe me, I know there's a value for cryptic typing in
bandwidth-constrained interactions such as telecommunications devices
for the deaf (TDD), or old-style UNIX chat on machines with 300 bps
connections. But the "shorthand" in no way improves readability, and,
in my perhaps crotchety view, sends a message that the typist's time
is more valuable than that of the reader.  As the reader, that leaves
me less than enchanted.

>But, Howard, aren't you being a little too cryptic?
>The commons obviously is the listserv.  But who are
>putting too many sheep out?  Lauren (and me, I guess,
>by association  with that point of view), or all the
>others who criticize?
>
>Or both sides?  I agree, it is time to end this thread.

Baaaaaa, humbug, he said, sheepishly.