Hi,

It seems to have been said a number of different ways but 100Meg can be set to full or
half duplex,  10Meg can be set to full or half duplex.  There is however a requirement
that is the the hardware must be able to support both the speed and the duplex
settings.

Ethernet in the true sense can only be 10Meg Half duplex on thick coax cable.  The
IEEE committee however have other standrds 10BaseT can be 10Meg half or full duplex.
100BaseT can be 100Meg half or full duplex.  They also have several others such as
10Base5 (thick coax) 10Meg being coax, shared, only one Transmit/Receive circuit must
be half duplex. 10Base2 (thin coax) same as thick re duplex etc.  There are also
several others basically the same rules as 100BaseT when it comes to duplex.

Most modern day devices allow 10/100Meg half or full duplex this allows legacy systems
to interoperate.  Coax has be written out of the standards.

There are however heaps of devices that still only have 10Meg Half duplex ports.  They
must and can only be used at 10Meg Half Duplex end of story for them.  The 2500 series
routers are quite old (not compared to me but more than 3 years is common).  The
earlier ones were released prior to 100BaseT being available.

Just some thoughts

Teunis,
Hobart, Tasmania
Asutralia