Be VERY careful of sales pitches...
1Gbps cleartext may well be only a few Mbps in a full encryption mode.
Case in point, after much research and many sales pitches, my site settled
on Alcatel TimeStep VPN's to replace older Motorola NES's. Alcatel's pitch
was that their top of the line series could pass a consistent 70Mbps
Encrypted. (With Fast Ethernet input and output, 100Mbps cleartext. As one
of the few devices that were FIPS 140-1 certified at the time, (A
requirement we made from the beginning), we went with them. When we started
in house testing, we found that when configured in FIPS mode, 3DES, SHA1,(As
required by us) they would only pass 6Mbps!!!! When we finally got to talk
to someone that truly had a clue, we were informed that in order to meet
FIPS certification, that all data must pass through a FIPS certified module
on the mainboard. This module was the same one that was used on their lower
speed units, and the throughput was 6Mbps!
But we had failed to ask the proper questions so they had done nothing
wrong.
Needless to say, we are now stuck with equipment that will still improve our
throughput from what it was, but it's no where near what we thought we were
going to get.
Pay very close attention, and do your homework.

Brad Stanfield CCNA/CCDA
Network/Integration Engineer
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Government Micro Resources