I agree with Evan, and I'll add a few other points -

#1 - who said IT is on shaky ground?  The dot-coms are probably (and always
have been) risky, but other companies in the non-information technology
markets are still solid (although I'll grant that, when business slows down
and layoffs start to occur, infrastucture hiring such as HR, finance, and IT
is usually frozen)

#2 - Those who jump on the career bandwagon because some technology or market
segment is hot are usually disappointed in their results and careers in the
long-term.  Just because "the hype" is fizzling out does NOT mean that the
need is disappearing.  On the contrary, the shortage of technically skilled
people in certain areas will continue to exist because of lack of interest,
because it is not "profitable or lucrative", because "the glamour" is gone,
because it's hard to master, etc.  If I got into networking because I thought
it was financially lucrative, I would have been making a big mistake, and
would have been very disappointed.  However, since my skills have improved and
matured, I have enjoyed some very good promotions and raises.  IT DIDN'T
HAPPEN RIGHT OFF THE BAT.  I had to serve my time and pay my dues, just like
in ANY OTHER CAREER.

And I'll bet that most of the other folks on this list have taken that same
path.

#3 - Competition?  I just interviewed a guy who wants to be a network
engineer, and (again) wants to put the cart before the horse...he wants to get
certified before he actually gets the experience.  I didn't express my
amusement in front of him...but I did ask him the question "Why do you want to
be a network engineer?".  I did not get a satisfactory answer from him.
That's my competition?

#4 - I ain't changing careers because someone says that IT is fizzling out,
because I'm in pretty good shape where I'm at.  Unless, or course, someone
offers me a job in the Carribean as a high-paid towel boy on a nude beach.
;-)

Evan Francen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> If you love to do networking, do networking.  If you love server admin, do
> server admin.  If you love grooming cats and dogs, groom cats and dogs.
The