No way, Allen... you already cashed it in about 15 messages ago on this thread
- no fair cashing in twice   ;-)

and I actually think this has been a healthy thread.  There seem to be these
camps, from what I've read:

1.  Certs add value regardless of a person's experience in industry - it's a
willingness to learn.
2.  Experience adds value and meaning to the Certs - it's an enhancement to
your experience and something that is in written recognizable form.
3.  Certs get your foot into the otherwise closed, air-tight door - it's an
indication that the person is trained and knowledgeable to some extent on the
techonology, and therefore less risky to hire than a non-certified (possibly
experienced) person

Thank goodness no one has presented the argument that Certs are a bad thing
;-)

All of the positions have validity.  The original poster was concerned about
VALUE DILUTION of the certs with all the folks who were "jumping on the
bandwagon" versus those of us who have been in the job and are uncertified and
working on our certs.  This raised the issue of "what's more important or
holds more value... the Cert or experience?"  And that's been tossed around
alot in the past 20 or so messages.  Value, fortunately, lies in the eyes of
the hiring manager, so if you can convince HIM one way or another, whichever
way you want to sway it, more power to you!

(now I'm feeling like having a breath mint... hmmm.. what's up with that?
"It's two, two, two mints in one")

LOL... I should be so jolly after a one-hour rolling blackout at my office!

-e-