At 11:06 AM 3/22/01, Neil Schneider wrote:
>Priscilla,
>
>I usually look forward to your posts,  but I think you are way off base with
>this response.  Pointing to the cisco page describing different technologies
>does absolutely nothing to answer my original question.

I'm sorry I was snide, but I was serious. That document describes
internetworking, not just technologies. Internetworking is what you need to
do what you are talking about. You need a bridge or a router.

>I also relize that
>a converter/transiever such as this would have limited use in a real world
>situation, but that certainly does not mean it doesnt exist.
>Obvoiusly we can move data between ethernet and serial, that is what is
>being done in the router itself, so your train/bus senario is meaningless.

A device that would convert between a train station and a bus station would
be analogous to a router or a bridge in the internetworking world.

Think about a train station. A train station is where trains arrive. Trains
are different than buses. They run on different tracks than buses. They go
at different speeds than buses. They hold cargo differently. They have
different headers and footers (caboose, engine). That is analogous to the
differences between serial and Ethernet. Serial and Ethernet use different
physical layer bit representations. They use different frames. They use
different clocking and run at different speeds. They user different
physical interfaces. They have different error correction methods. There
are many more differences that I won't get into because I'm in a bit of a rush.

I still suggest reading that document! Seriously.

Priscilla