At 01:47 PM 3/22/2001 -0500, you wrote:
>Can someone tell me why a single autonomous system (AS) is better than
>having multiple autonomous systems?
>
>Sonia

No simple answer -- but at the very least, AS numbers are an increasingly
scarce resource.  At the present rate of allocation, we will run out of 16-bit
AS numbers around 2004.  There are active efforts underway to develop
an upwardly compatible extension to 32 bit AS numbers, so this probably
will not be a crisis.

But what problem are you trying to solve?  See RFC 1930 for a discussion
of guidelines for when you need an AS.  Since that time, there have been
a great number of techniques for using private AS numbers.  The most
compelling reason to have a public AS number is for ISPs offering
transit services.