I think it is related to traffic flow control within an organization.

The more the intermediate AS, the more difficult for the source to control
the forward and backward traffic flow. Ideally the traffic flow is
symmetrical, if the traffic flow is not symmetrical, some "stars" or
unnecessary large ping time may appear.

If the intermediate AS is a single AS (at least appeared to be a single AS
to external peers), it is a lot easier to control the traffic flow. Within
the intermediate AS, it can be confederation or route reflector, plus OSPF
or even static route to control internal routing behaviour. It will be a lot
simpler to maintain symmetrical traffic.

""Alassar, Sonia"" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
[EMAIL PROTECTED]">news:[EMAIL PROTECTED].
..