As a matter of fact, I'm at the IETF meeting in Minneapolis.  There's
been quite a bit of discussion of global routing system scaling issues,
and growth in the number of AS is one concern, although by no
means the chief one.

There has been very little growth in AS associated with transit ISPs,
but substantial growth in AS apparently used for enterprise multihoming.
Moving to a 32 bit AS number is pretty much a given, and there
are upwardly compatible methods for doing so.

There is, however, lots of interest in ways of using private AS for
multihoming, primarily when there are only two providers involved.

I'm participating in several efforts looking at routing system scalability,
although my most active public BGP-related project is coming up
with benchmarking methodology for single BGP routers.  The
Benchmarking Methodology working group has accepted the
draft as a work item.  It's coauthored with people from NextHop and
Cisco, and I hope to get some Juniper participation