You should be able to ping yourself on a LAN interface without any addition
configuration (see below). As far as a WAN environment goes there is not too
many reasons to ping yourself and it's a bad troubleshooting technique
(pinging yourself that is). If you can ping the other side of the WAN link
then it should be okay. You don't need to ping yourself after you ping the
other side.

In a WAN environment you send the echo request down the link and the other
side bounces it back. You then answer it by sending an echo reply down the
link and the other side bounces it back to you again. This is why pinging
yourself on a WAN link takes twice as long as pinging the other side (see
below).

Brian

********* Ethernet *********

R2#sho ip int brie e0/0
Interface                  IP-Address      OK? Method Status
Protocol
Ethernet0/0                172.17.1.22     YES manual up
up
R2#ping 172.17.1.22

Type escape sequence to abort.
Sending 5, 100-byte ICMP Echos to 172.17.1.22, timeout is 2 seconds:
!!!!!
Success rate is 100 percent (5/5), round-trip min/avg/max = 1/3/4 ms
R2#

******** Point to Point Serial ***********

R1#sho ip int brie s1
Interface              IP-Address      OK? Method Status
Protocol
Serial1                161.61.62.1     YES NVRAM  up                    up
R1#ping 161.61.62.2

Type escape sequence to abort.
Sending 5, 100-byte ICMP Echos to 161.61.62.2, timeout is 2 seconds:
!!!!!
Success rate is 100 percent (5/5), round-trip min/avg/max = 32/33/36 ms
R1#ping 161.61.62.1

Type escape sequence to abort.
Sending 5, 100-byte ICMP Echos to 161.61.62.1, timeout is 2 seconds:
!!!!!
Success rate is 100 percent (5/5), round-trip min/avg/max = 60/61/64 ms
R1#