From: Darren Crawford [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Wednesday, May 09, 2001 11:26 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Protocol Type 0x886F [7:3737]

I ran into this same problem at my current client.  Apparently this is a
necessary evil in a NT clustered environment for load balancing and fault
tolerancy.  There are two 1,514 byte packets sent every second by default.
One
to the MAC of the NIC and the other to the multicast address.  The size of
these packets cannot be adjusted but the interval of how often they occur
can.   The heartbeat can be set between 100 and 10000 milliseconds (default
is
1000).  The time period before the device is determined dead can be set
between
5 and 100 (default is 5).

We did the following:

Registry items alivestatus (aka AliveMsgPeriod) and aliveperiod (aka
AliveMsgTolerance) were changed to 10000 and 9 respectively.  What this
meant on
the network was that there were only 6 pairs of heartbeats per minute
instead
of 60.

This should be adjusted based on the organizations tolerance of a failure.

HTH

Darren

At 12:47 AM 05/09/2001 -0400, Andy Prima wrote:
>Dear all,
>I need help on protocol type 0x886F. It seems that this kind of Ethernet
>Broadcast is circling around my network and I do not have a clue what it
>really is.
>
>TIA
>andy

Darren S. Crawford
Lucent Technologies Worldwide Services
2377 Gold Meadow Way            Phone: (916) 859-5200 x310
Suite 230                               Fax: (916) 859-5201
Sacramento, CA 95670            Pager: (800) 467-1467
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]     Epager: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.lucent.com           Network Systems
Consultant - CCNA, CCIE Written

                "Providing the Power Operable Networks."