Hi,
I feel if u have a switch which supports VLAN, you can keep the NIC's of the
2 nodes which were supposed to be connected by a cross over cable could be
kept in a separate VLAN thus u could avoid the broadcast.
I feel if i have a product supporting VLAN that would be a better
alternative

regards
rstephenp