I still can not leave that question alone.  It is a good question.  Why is
IS-IS for large networks?  The why is the key.

http://www.juniper.net/techcenter/techpapers/200003-02.html

.Design for Scalability
Scalability is concerned with the ability of the implementation to grow with
the ever-expanding network environment. There are a number of factors that
play a key role in determining the scalability of a routing protocol
implementation:
' Maximum number of interfaces supported
' Speed of a routing table search
' Maximum number of routes that can be stored in the routing table
' Maximum number of OSPF or IS-IS adjacencies or BGP peers that can be
supported on each router
' Maximum number of OSPF LSAs or IS-IS LSPs that can be stored in the
router's link-state database
' Ability of the policy control language to permit administrators to easily
and efficiently control the import, export, and modification of an enormous
amount of routing information

http://www.nortelnetworks.com/index.html
Type IS-IS and they have a great PDF on the protocol.

http://www-search.cisco.com/pcgi-bin/search/public.pl?q=OSPF+vs+IS-IS&num=10
&searchselector=0  My search on Cisco

I noticed Cisco will compare OSPF with RIP or EIGRP but not IS-IS I wonder
why??

I can not find anything on IS-IS perhaps I am not using the correct string
when looking on Cisco.. I notice with Nortel and Juniper I had no issues
finding something on it.

Curtis