To all,

In Cisco's BCMSN class, they make the comment of "254". I think that Cisco
chose this number is because that most people use a "/24" mask for
subnetting. In BOTH of Cisco's design classes, this is the recommendation:
* IP        = 500
* IPX     = 300
* AT      = 200
* Mixed = 200

I think that the design classes make a more accurate guestimate, at least
I've seen this true from my consulting experience. However, EVERY network is
DIFFERENT--what works for one network won't work for another. I had one
customer that had 1,800 devices in the SAME broadcast domain--everything was
bridged, not routers. When I first heard this, I didn't believe it.
Actually, their network "kind of" worked. For 30 seconds traffic would go
through, and the next 30 seconds they'd have a broadcast storm. It was
pretty funny. Of course, they realized one day that when they added another
machine to the network, it broke the cycle, and then they decided to
redesign their network with routers (which was why I was there).

Enjoy!

Richard Deal [EMAIL PROTECTED]
* CCNA/CCNP test author for www.equizware.com--500 questions each for the
CCNA Routing and Switching, CCNP Routing, CCNP Switching, CCNP Remote
Access, and CCNP Support tests
* Author of the following Coriolis books: CCNP Switching Exam Cram, CCNP
Remote Access Exam Prep, and CCNP Cisco Lan Switch Configuration