Priscilla,

The only reading I have done on the LLC2 standard  is from a book written by
Roosevelt Giles.  From reading the book I got the impression that LLC was a
subset of HDLC and it was based on HDLC standard not the other way around.
I would have to respectfully disagree with the statement that hdlc and lapd
are based on LLC2.  But I wouldn't put my career on it. I would also mention
the reliability factor is because it is an acknowledged connection-oriented
service versus LLC type 1 is connectionless.  Is this part of the Top down
network design volume 2 edition.  If it is please let us know the due date
cuz  its gonna sellout fast.

Hope this helps

George, Head Janitor, CCNA CCDA
Cisco Systems