First, I'm going to take issue with what I consider an urban legend
that HDLC was based on SDLC.  SDLC was first available in the first
SNA release in 1973.  The HDLC family was the basis of the X.25 link
standards, including LAP in the 1972 CCITT specifications.  But there
was quite bitter feeling between IBM and the CCITT group developing
the HDLC family.  It's fair to say that HDLC and SDLC were based on
contemporaneous work on bit-oriented data link protocols.

Second, HDLC was never intended as a standalone protocol, but as a
family of protocols that could be customized for applications.  The
fullest standards based HDLC specification I ever saw was ANSI's
Advanced Data Communications Control Protocol (ADCCP), which I don't
think ever was deployed.

The idea of an unreliable link was quite alien to CCITT, and indeed
was not part of the original OSI specification, ISO 7498, which was
formalized in 1984.  George Orwell fans, make whatever observations
you wish. Connectionless communications are an annex to ISO 7498.
Yes, I know that connectionless doesn't necessarily mean unreliable,
as in LLC3 or things that just don't quite fit the model, such as OSI
Fast Select or AppleTalk Transaction Protocol.

Roughly:

IBM              CCITT/ISO              DIX Ethernet

                  HDLC                   IEEE 802

                  LAP

SDLC              v
  .               LAP-B      IBM TR Proposal

                  LAP-D
                                           LLC3
                  LAP-F