On Wed, 13 Jun 2001, Susan Stone wrote:

> Hi..  We need to do the auto-proxy solution for browsing.  I have a main
> proxy's IP 10.0.0.6 and back up proxy 10.0.0.7.  I need to all my IE
clients
> to point to a "auto IP address" let say 10.0.0.5 which can actually point
> 10.0.0.6 when both are on line, if 10.0.0.6 go down, it will automatically
> point to the back up proxy 10.0.0.7.  What is the better way to do it.
How
> about in Cisco way?  Any idea?

If by "proxy" you mean "default router", go to http://www.cisco.com/ and
search for HSRP. If you're thinking of an HTTP proxy, your best bet is
to forget about 10.0.0.5 and just declare a single proxy in your DNS
zone file, with 2 addresses, as in

proxy.your.domain.goes.there.   IN A 10.0.0.6
                                IN A 10.0.0.7

Then you can just configure proxy.your.domain.goes.there. as the HTTP
proxy in your users' browsers and forget that there are 2 addresses
behind that name.

--
"Someone approached me and asked me to teach a javascript course. I was
about to decline, saying that my complete ignorance of the subject made