On Fri, 15 Jun 2001 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> On Fri, 15 Jun 2001, ElephantChild wrote:
>

> > Not sure what you're saying there. Does M$ DNS return single addresses
> > in answer to an A query instead of swapping them, eg alternating between
>
> Any correctly functioning DNS server will reply to the request with a
> round-robin answer.  One request with get .7 in the reply, the next .6,
> the next .7...

Sorry if I'm dense, but ISTR that the first request will get an answer
of (.7, .6), the next (.6, .7) , then (.7, .6), etc. (IOW, *both
addresses* are present in *all* answers, and the round robin just
changes their *order* in the answer). So if both are up, clients will
use both, and will hopefully spread their requests evenly. However if
say, .6 goes down, the clients getting it first in the reply will have
to try it first (perhaps getting an unreachable, perhaps timing out)
before they try .7, but thet *do* have both addresses to try. (I
checked, and all versions of bind I can look at the docs for behave that
way.) I'll look at the RFCs to see what they say about it, if anything,
unless someone beats me to it.

So again, I have to ask what you mean:

- Does M$ DNS act the way you stated, ie returns only one address?

- Or do the clients you have in mind ignore addresses after the first?

(opinion of servers or clients that would behave that way withheld to
avoid triggering the obscenity filters)

--
"Someone approached me and asked me to teach a javascript course. I was
about to decline, saying that my complete ignorance of the subject made