I had a similar problem with my home network lab.

I have both NT4 /W2k servers. (as well as NT4, W2K, W9* workstations)

The first big problem was that I could log in from one machine but not
another.

It turned out that W2K played with the auto duplex on the card.  It seemed
that after every boot, I could log in, then I couldn't.  It was strange
because I could see packets going in and leaving the W2K server (properties
on the card) but it wasn't reacting.

Nailing the duplex speed on the W2K fixed that one.

Then, as you say surfing the net became a problem.  It seemed the NT4(W9*)
family could and the W2K family could not although they had the exact same
IP config.

It turned out that the W2K family wasn't playing with DNS properly as
configured on the ADSL router.  I can't explain it further.

I installed a W2K DNS and pointed it to the ISP DNS.  The W2K machines point
to the W2K DNS and everything works.  The NT4 (W9*) machines point to the
ADSL and everything works.

You have not said if you can get to a web site using their IP address or if
the problem machines can ping anywhere (local or remote) via IP.

Have a look at a DNS issue and try again.

Kevin Wigle