Do it by the layers.

1.  Check nic, cable, and other physical layer (1) issues.

2. Check layer 2 ( arp, mac, etc)

3. Check layer 3 (ping IP address , not host name, start with self, then
local workstation, then server, etc).  Ping local router, than ISP router.

Once that is done, then try ping a local server by its DNS name, then WINS
name, etc.   If that is successful, ping a remote server by its DNS server.
If unsuccessful, you,needless to say, have a DNS problem of some sort.
Check what DNS server you are pointing to, and see if it has any weird***
reqs or settings.

Your biggest problem right now may be a lack of structure to your
troubleshooting.  Design a plan of attack similar to what I just described,
and them implent it.  It's a pain in the *** but better than guessimating.

HTH, and let us know what the final problem is...

Charles