Also, you need to keep in mind that it isn't the router itself that's in a
VLAN, etc. Its the individual interfaces or subinterfaces. You could have a
subinterface to every VLAN on one interface, a connection to your ISP on
another interface, and other connections going elsewhere on other
interfaces. The router itself can't be said to be a member of any one VLAN.
Its a member of all of them by default.

If you're looking for best practices, have the interface to the internet be
in the same network as the interface on the ISP's router. Anything else is
dependent on the topology and requirements on your end. If you need to use a
firewall, make sure that all traffic to and from goes through the firewall.
This can be as simple as setting the default gateway to the firewall's
interface and then routing traffic to the internet from there.

HTH,
        Karen