I've found the responses to this thread extremely interesting because I feel
they relate directly to experiences in my career path.  Here's a perspective
from the other end.  I am 23 years old.  I am currently a CNE, MCSE, CCNP,
CCDP, and CCIE #6080.  I personally don't put a great deal of stock into an
individual solely on certification however I know employers do weigh this
information.  I completed my Associates Degree in the Air Force but still
haven't finished my engineering degree.  Attaining these certifications
opened many doors for me and allowed me to gain a wealth of experience in
many cutting edge technologies with both enterprise and service provider
companies.  I strongly believe these certifications have influenced
employers to give me opportunities that my youth would normally deny.  I
also believe that these certifications (and the experience I have gained
because of them) give me an edge when competing for a job against others
without certification or experience.  Don't get me wrong.  I think it is
very true to say a college degree will last forever and is beneficial in the
long run however I strongly feel my professional career has been greatly
accelerated due to the career path I have chosen.  I don't regret putting
industry certifications before college at this time (except for those wild
college parties I've heard about!!).  However, I am continuing my education
and plan to finish my degree in a couple of years.

HTH,

-Michael Cohen