what's more amazing to me is the disproportional importance the
certification materials place on this kind of stuff. We all read the ad hoc
statement in Lammle or other guides that EIGRP is a hybrid protocol with
characteristics of both DV and LS. Of course nowhere in the materials we
read are there the kind of detailed explanations, detailed foundations,
which support these ad hoc statements.

don't even get me started about the L2 vs. L3 switching debate.

Fact is, Cisco promulgates a certain outlook, most of which is accurate
enough that it makes little difference for all practical purposes. Cisco
isn't the only one, either. As a result of an argument elsewhere, I had
reason to delve into the esoterics of OSPF virtual links, and the nature of
tunneling. My research and resulting opinion have put me square in
opposition to statements made in Doyle, Moy, and the RFC itself. I continue
to believe that certain comments were made to provide a conceptual
framework, not to state truth about how things really work. I also learned
that Moy himself, while using the term tunnel in his 1998 book, makes no
such reference in his 2001 book, leading me to believe others may have
suggested to him that there was misunderstanding due to his earlier
statement. But that debate continues because after all, there it is in print
from an expert.

I believe there are more important things to know than which protocols are
link state and which protocols are distance vector. Like what LS and DV
really are. Thanks to Howard for offering some detail here. For example, how
is the routing table created? what happens to get routes into a routing
table? And what is the basis for redistribution? How does the router ( not
routing ) process determine how and what to redistribute? Knowing that would
go a long way towards explaining some anomalies I and others have seen.

I suppose it is human nature to believe that because you have passed a test
you inherently know all there is to know. I certainly go through similar
moods myself. I also find that as I learn more I find the early readings I
did, and the early explanations, shallow and unsatisfactory.

As to whether or not any vendor certification retains or has lost value, I
leave that for other times and other places. To quote Mr. Science, "I know
more than you do, because I have a Master's degree - in Science!" Cuts to
the heart of the question, doesn't it?

Chuck