I keep seeing 500-CS, 2509, and 2511 thrown out as suggestions for a
terminal server, but aren't these a little expensive when you really
just want a serial switch?

Is there a reason that more people don't use a simple serial switchbox
for home lab study?  I'm looking through the Black Box catalog and I see
part # SW077A for $133.00.  It's a 6-to-1 RJ-45 switch.  Is there some
reason why I wouldn't be able to get one of those instead of spending
hundreds of dollars on a 2509?

I keep thinking there must be something I'm missing because I don't
recall seeing anyone suggest a switchbox for this application.  If
there's a reason for it, I'd like to know before I spend the dough on
the switch.

Thanks!

John