You can always use the 2509/11 as a normal router (with the 2 serial ports)
in your lab. The 8/16 async ports can be used as a terminal server without
impacting the labs you work on (assuming you have direct telent access to
it's ethernet interface)
So you don't need to dedicate the TS just for that purpose....
But assuming you can setup reverse telnet there is no reason that you *need*
a 2509/11 in your lab....
A simple serial switch works fine....
You may stumble on one of the fancier models that will switch on some key
combinations. This would save you haveing to leave the keyboard to switch.I
see lots of old surplus async serial stuff around from the "old days"...

Bob