At 08:53 AM 7/23/01, Remmert Veen wrote:
>Hi Sammi,
>
>Indeed, ISL is Cisco propietary, so should you consider other vendor's
>switches in your network, now or in the future, I'd recommend 802.1q. Beware
>however, dot1q has some drwabacks with regards to loops. Check out
>http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/c2900xl/29_35wc/sc/swgvlans.htm#xtocid1196639
>
>for the details.

I'm trying to understand what that link is saying:

"Make sure the native VLAN for an 802.1Q trunk is the same on both ends of
the trunk link. If the native VLAN on one end of the trunk is different
from the native VLAN on the other end, spanning-tree loops might result."

What's a native VLAN? Is that the one that sends STP, VTP, etc.? How is it
different from the management VLAN?

If the native VLAN were set differently on the two ends of a trunk, I guess
STP traffic wouldn't flow correctly, so loops could result? Why wouldn't
this also be a problem for ISL?

The link also says this:

"Disabling STP on the native VLAN of an 802.1Q trunk without disabling STP
on every VLAN in the network can potentially cause STP loops. We recommend
that you leave STP enabled on the native VLAN of an 802.1Q trunk or disable
STP on every VLAN in the network. Make sure your network is loop-free
before disabling STP."

That one seems sort of obvious. Disabling STP on any trunk could result in
problems, I would think. What are they getting at?

Thanks,

Priscilla

>If not (so your network is all Cisco) you might wanna consider ISL. Since it
>is Cisco propietary, it's obviously fully supported by Cisco and has some
>minor benefits.
>
>Hth,
>Remmert

Priscilla Oppenheimer